Monday, October 4, 2010

10 "Drowned" excerpts + LA photographs





WARREN
I’m really sorry I couldn’t make your play last night-

PHILIP
(without looking up)
Oh, don’t worry about it-

WARREN
You know Leilah was there, but-

PHILIP
Yeah-

WARREN
She was raving about it. (bangs his head symbolically) I’m kicking myself now for not trying to get a cover earlier-

PHILIP
Really, it’s-

WARREN
(removes a bouquet of flowers from the bag)
I know it’s not like giving them to you if I was there, but-

PHILIP
(takes them, is coming apart)
Aw, Warren you shouldn’t-

WARREN
I’m sure you knocked ‘em off their feet, buddy.

PHILIP
Thanks, thanks a lot.
(beat)

PHILIP (CONT’D)
(realizes)
...Hey, how did you know I’d be here this morning? I mean at this exact time, I’m usually not-

WARREN
That’s the thing...I’m not going to fool with you since you’re my friend.
(beat)
Those were actually for Leilah. We got in a fight late last night, after your play.

Philip looks down.

WARREN (CONT’D)
But don’t worry, cause you deserve ‘em anyway! (examines his watch, plastic with a James Bond logo) Hey, I gotta run, but good to see you - and good job!

He walks off towards the counter and brushes shoulders with a busy graduate student on his way out. Warren turns and watches the student exit. He smiles and shakes his head. Philip sits with a stillness and continues to stare at the page, reading and re-reading the review as his tea grows cold.

No comments: